Tuesday, January 18, 2005

British expat falls to death during rock-climb - I know him!

Jan 16, 2005

A BRITISH expatriate fell to his death yesterday morning while rock-climbing near the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve.
Mr James Creffield, a food technologist married to an Anglo-Chinese Junior College teacher, was an avid rock-climber and would go climbing almost every weekend, The Sunday Times understands.
His wife, Mrs Geeta Creffield, 36, heads the arts department at ACJC, runs the drama and debating clubs and coaches the national pre-university debating team.
Well-loved by students and respected in the teaching circle, she won the first President's Award for teachers in 1998, when it was launched to recognise the best in the profession. The other winner that year was Mrs Lim Tai Foon of St Hilda's Primary.
Her husband was no stranger to the college. He would help behind the scenes at college events, such as funfairs and drama productions.
When contacted last night, Mrs Creffield said she was not ready to talk about her husband's death.
Her students were shocked and one of them, 17-year-old Gayle Goh, said: 'Mrs Creffield is a role model; she's an incredible woman. It's very tragic and very sad that this has happened to her. She's such a strong and calm person and we've always relied on her. Now, we'll be there for her.'
The funeral will be held tomorrow at the Mandai Crematorium. -- Tracy Quek IP Address:202.156.2.74

I only get to know James last wed when I was climbing with my friend at this gym which I usually go. We even had supper together after climbing that day and had a great talk. His friend even invited us to climb at Bukit Timah Diary farm last weekend. Due to my company retreat at Bali I was not able to join them.

My friend was there and he told me what had exactly happened . James was leading a difficult route, while my friend was on another route not far from him. James had clipped in one runner into a bolt and had advanced about a meter or so and was preparing to clip in again when he fell backwards, inverting himself and landing hard on his back and head.

As my friend was closest to James, the belayer lowered him to James, he saw James was in very bad shape. He was not breathing, had no pulse, and had a severe head injury.They got him down and began CPR while one of the other climbers went for help. After a little while James began breathing again on his own and his pulse returned. Soon, however, his breathing slowed, became very labored, and finally stopped again. They resumed CPR until the ambulance arrived and he was taken to the hospital.

Apparently in the ambulance his condition worsened. He was at the hospital for about an hour before he was finally pronounced dead.

Never did I expect that wed was the last time I spoke to him, the first and last time I had supper with him. I am very affected by his death but I hope this will not affect my interest and passion in climbing.

May you rest in peace and may your wife live strongly.

2 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger bionic said...

rest in peace....everything's fated i believe.....use tis moment 2 reflect & live stronger!

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

R.I.P life's short....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home